[Hamara-announce] Release of Hamara Sugam 2.0 Beta

Raju Devidas raju at hamaralinux.org
Fri Oct 20 13:31:40 UTC 2017

Greetings everyone,

on the 9th of June we presented to you, the Alpha release of Hamara
Sugam 2.0 . Now the Hamara Linux Team is  excited to present to you the
Beta Release of Hamara Sugam. Hamara Sugam is the lighter version of
Hamara Linux targeted at computers with low computing resources. It
utilizesthe MATEdesktop Environment [3] which works great on systems
which are low on computing resources. It is also simple to understand
and use for people with any level of expertise with computers from
newbies to pro users alike.
  The significant changes for this Beta release of Hamara Sugam are as
follows:

  * Moving towards Calamares installer for installation of Hamara Sugam.
      o We realized that Debian installer is a great installer with
        detailed options for installation of an operating system. At the
        same time Debian installer is sometimes confusing for newbies
        who are trying to do installations. Many times even for those
        with some experience. This led us to consider alternate
        installers. We tried to port the most famous of them all
        Ubiquity. But after a lot of tries with it we abandoned the
        effort on Ubiquity,due to many technical reasons [2]. That is
        when we discovered Calamares [5]. The Distribution independent
        Installer. And we integrated it with Hamara Sugam.
        Calamares is an easy to use installer providing the options
        suitable for newbies as well as for people who want to do fine
        grained configurations while installing the operating system on
        there machine.
  * Changes to the theme of Hamara Sugam
      o We migrated to the Materia  [4]  theme for the Hamara Sugam
        Desktop. Previously we were using Paper [6]theme. We identified
        issues in GTK 2 environments when using Paper and found that
        Materia gave a more fluid and slick Material Design experience.
        Although our GTK theme has now shifted to Materia, we are still
        using Paper as our default icon theme.
        We thanks nana-4 for his efforts on Materia theme & Sam Hewitt
        for his efforts on Paper theme.

  * Generic Names for Applications
      o We decided that Applications should have a generic name, based
        on there purpose. With this opinion, we renamed a few
        applications. So |MATE terminal|becomes just |Terminal|or |MATE
        color chooser|becomes just |Color chooser|and like wise. All
        this naming has been done to make sure the application names
        should be generic wherever possible.

  * Update to Kernel 4.12

      o Although our immediate upstream Debian is using the Linux Kernel
        version 4.9 we would be using the recent Kernel version 4.12
        instead.

*
**Blog Post for Hamara Sugam Beta Release**
**
<https://www.hamaralinux.org/beta-release-of-hamara-sugam-2-0/>*ttps://www.hamaralinux.org/beta-release-of-hamara-sugam-2-0/
<https://www.hamaralinux.org/beta-release-of-hamara-sugam-2-0/>

The detailed changes and bugs which were resolved during migration of
Hamara Sugam from Alpha to Beta stage can be seen in the Release Notes
Document [1].

*Release Notes**
*******
Release notes for the Beta release can be seen here [1].

*Screen Shots*

Take a preview of Hamara Sugam 2.0 with the screenshots [7]

*Downloading the Hamara Sugam 2.0 Beta ISO*

The ISO images for installation of Hamara Sugam can always be obtained
from https://www.hamaralinux.org/download/

*Reporting problems and Seeking support*

If you face issues with Installation or while performing tasks on Hamara
Sugam, you should report your problems on Hamara Bug Tracker [8] .
Alternatively you can send a mail on our Mailing lists [9] or ask it on
our Forums [9].

*Getting involved and contributing to the project*

Come over, join hands in shaping up Hamara Linux. Take a look at the
Contribute page on our main website.

*Feedbacks for this release*

    We would love to hear about Hamara Linux from you on our mailing
list or on social media.

    On Diaspora or Mastodon. Send your feedbacks with #hamaralinux hash tag

    or on Twitter  https://twitter.com/hamaralinux

[1] Release Notes for Hamara Sugam
Beta https://wiki.hamaralinux.org/wiki/index.php/Hamara_Sugam_Beta/Release_Notes

[2] Porting Ubiquity